I’m really lucky to have a great group of friends and people in my life that I get to enjoy my time with. Socializing is such an important part of our lives because it gives us a break away from the stress and monotony of our everyday lives, and allows us so escape and enjoy the company of our friends and loved ones. It offers us a way to gather together to complain about our spouse, unwind after a long day at work, seek out some much needed advice, get support when dealing with difficult issues, or just get together to share some laughs and good times. It’s through the love and support of your friends that you’re able to get through the bad times, and enjoy the good ones.
That being said, I’ve noticed that most of my socializing over the years has been centered around booze whether it be at a bar, restaurant, home or at a sporting event. Don’t get me wrong, I love my martinis and wine just as much as (or possible more than) the next guy, but since I’m trying to find a better balance in my life in all areas I’ve realized that my social life needs to be healthier and more balanced. To that end, I’ve been making an effort to try to do things with my friends that don’t involve alcohol, so here are some of them:
- Take a hike – I love going on long walks or hikes with my friends. You get to kill two birds with one stone by getting to spend time with your friend, while also getting a workout in as well.
- Coffee – This is the standard, go-to, get-together that works with just about everyone. With so many cafes and coffee shops around it’s a really easy and casual way to meet up with someone.
- Workout together – Working out with a friend makes workouts so much more fun, and the time just flies by. Go to they gym together, or try each other’s favorite classes or workouts because it’s a great way to get introduced to something new.
- Have a spa day – This is definitely one of my favorite things to do with my girlfriends. There’s nothing better than getting to relax and get pampered while hanging out with your friend. If a full spa day isn’t an option, go out for a mani/pedi, or plan an at home spa party.
- Give back – Getting involved with a charity or some community service is a great thing to do with a friend. There are so many different charitable options to chose from which range from long term commitments to short term ones so find one that interests you or your friend and get involved together.
- Go shopping – Although I’m the first to admit that boozy shopping is better than regular shopping, it’s always much more fun to shop with a friend than alone. It’s always good to get a second opinion and have a partner in crime.
- Get cultured – Go to a museum or an art event together and share in the experience of viewing beautiful artwork together.
- Join a book club – Book clubs are a great way to get you reading new books and getting to hang out with your friends to discuss them. Although most of the book clubs I’ve gone to have involved wine, it’s possible to do them without any and have just as much fun 🙂
- Take a class – Ever wanted to learn to paint, play an instrument or learn to cook but never got around to doing it? Invite a friend to join you and learn something new together.